Saturday, 28 January 2012

Connectivism and the Bookworm - Week 1 of #CCK12 –

Overall, the concept of connectivism resonates with me.  I work in adult literacy and we teach adults who have not succeeded using traditional learning methods. Literacy educators deeply believe in some of the concepts embedded in connectivism such as the importance of continual, lifelong learning, giving learners control over their own learning, and developing an individual ism curriculum based on learner needs and interests. Also embedded in literacy instruction is a core concept of connectivism; namely that each person is unique and inherently valuable. Or, in the immortal words of Dr. Seuss, “A person’s a person, no matter how small”!

I very much like the experiential and informal learning espoused by connectivism and the principles of openness and of expecting and encouraging different point of view. The idea of learning as a community, sharing knowledge, and of creating new knowledge in this course is very compelling. It is also interesting and a helpful learning experience to be reading some of the blogs, resources on Diigo, Twitter accounts and Google group comments prepared by my fellow course participants.

The course instructors and my fellow classmates bring new perspectives that are challenging my thinking in positive ways. During the Thursday night session, as I listened to George and Stephen and read the comments being posted by participants  I had to listen and think so hard that it felt like my brain was stretching itself out of my head!

However, my introverted self rebels at the concept of creating learning as part of a community. That part of me like structure and order and learning by myself, quietly with no input from others, away from the maddening crowds. This part of me likes to learn like the good fellow in this painting below called “The Bookworm” (by Carl Spitzweg). No blogging or tweeting for him; in fact nothing but a good book and solitude!

Joanne


2 comments:

  1. I love this picture Joanne! I feel much the same about learning privately and quietly, particularly by burying myself in a good book. All this talk of electronic textbooks and connected learning that constantly evolves makes me feel slightly uneasy at times. My mind rebels against the practicality of it. I start thinking "Will I not be able to justify books, even if they're published this year? Will I not allow myself to buy books anymore that I know will age, eventually so much so that they are of no technical value?". Scary thoughts! I've always loved the theory that you can become a bit of a master in your own cave, so to speak, just by putting your head down and working at it. I think artistic and trade learning in particular will be rather more immune to this sort of progression, as many of these types of learning CAN be refined alone and in your little cave, often only through (probably private) practice. I console myself by concluding that I'll never move the creative parts of my life too far toward intangible networks and electronic resources. Different methods of learning for different subjects :) In this sense we can safely become networking ninjas for professional learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful posting Anne-Marie. I think your comment of keeping certain parts (the creative part) of your life separate and distinct from the virtual worlds really is very wise and insightful. And, I love your comment of being "networking ninjas"!

    ReplyDelete