· My 13 year-old son accidentally leaves his cell phone at home and heads off to his Grade 9 classes
· His orthodontist calls with an emergency appointment that afternoon
· I need to get a hold of my son ASAP to tell him about the appointment
The M.O.M. Network Solution
1. I enact the secret M.O.M. network
2. I send a Tweet to Mom A (son’s best friend’s Mom) and tell her the problem but… her son (kid A) doesn’t have a cell phone. Dead-end!
3. I send a Facebook message to Mom B and she promises to text her son (kid B)
4. Kid B doesn’t have any courses with my son so he texts kid C who shares a gym class with my son
5. Gym class is over by the time kid C reads the text, so it is another dead-end!
6. Kid C then posts on his Facebook “Anyone who has a class with Charlie please tell him to call home ASAP” (though of course he posts in lol language not these long words!)
7. Kids D, E, F, G, H (none of whom I know) all read this Facebook post and tell my son to call me
8. My son makes it to the emergency dental appointment!
9. Hurrah for the M.O.M. network – with its strong and weak ties, dead-ends, false starts, known and unknown players, awesome use of social network tools and ultimate success as a network!